It was simpler in college though, when you and your significant other had the excuse of being broke to skip out on doing something fancy. The problem is a lot of us are still not swimming in money in our twenties, yet the stakes have somehow gone up on how we spend this day of the year.
If you're a twenty something wondering how to celebrate the day without emptying your checkings account, below are some ideas to help you figure out how to not disappoint your special someone. With a couple classic suggestions to others you would never consider, there's bound to be one idea that peaks your interest.
Related Post: 10 Valentine's Day Cards for Every Guy in Your Life
1. Dinner and a movieClassics are classic for a reason, so there's nothing wrong with having a typical date night instead of stressing out over making the night super special.
2. Cook each other dinnerIf you two enjoy to cook, or don't do it often enough, trying out a new recipe or recreating a favorite childhood recipe is an easy way to pass the time and learn more about each other.
3. Recreate your first dateIf you've been dating for a while, recreating your first date is a fun way to reminisce and see just how far you've come.
4. Visit a theme parkTheme parks aren't your typical Valentine's Day activity, so you can trust the lines will be shorter than usual.
Related Post: 20 Small Signs Your Relationship is Getting Serious
5. Go outdoorsIf the two of you enjoy spending time outside, don't miss an opportunity to go on a hike, visit the water or even make a camping trip out of the weekend.
6. Get activeI'm not recommending you jog together, unless you're into that kind of thing, but gokarting, indoor skydiving or rock climbing are fun dates you won't forget.
7. Attend a bar crawlThis sounds super rowdy but hear me out, a bar crawl is a fun way to explore a neighborhood you don't typically visit. Plus, Groupon usually has such great deals around this type of event!
Psst, you can follow my Dating in Your Twenties board on Pinterest for more tips + advice for dating as a twenty something!
8. Go on a ghost tourFor the couple who enjoys being creeped out together, ghost tours are a fun way to spend an night plus learn more about the city. You're guaranteed to have the most creative Valentine's Day night.
9. Host a game nightIf you wanna spread the love to your other friends, single or in a relationship, hosting a game night is a fun way to pass the time with people you care about. Who said Valentine's Day is only a day to celebrate the ones you love romantically?
10. Have a staycationIf you live in a city with a lot of tourist attractions, a staycation is a great way to enjoy the things you typically don't get to enjoy. You can choose to stay at home or in a hotel, and from there make up an itinerary of things you've been meaning to check out.
Related Post: 11 Perfect Gift Ideas for Your Boyfriend's Parents
11. Visit an arcadeTrust me, arcades are just as fun as when you were twelve, plus now you can drink! Find your local arcade and bring a few rolls of quarters to spend a night challenging one another.
12. Check out a cat cafeLove animals but can't have one? Cat cafes and animal shelters are a fun way to spend an afternoon giving attention to animals looking for their forever homes.
13. Go on a dinner cruiseAs long as neither one of you gets boat sick, this is a fun twist on the typical Valentine's Dinner. Once again, Groupon usually has a bunch of deals for this type of activity.
Do you have an all time favorite Valentine's Day date? And for my single readers, if you search Valentine, there's plenty of content on the site for how to celebrate without a significant other!