One of the biggest transitions in college is having to share your space with another person, who isn’t family, and who most likely you’ve never met. In my case, I left home to start my new life in a dorm in a small room with two girls named Jessica, both of whom I luckily fell in love with as time passed.
Not everyone is that lucky though, actually, my neighbor to the left was far less lucky. She spent the entire first half of her freshmen year attempting to be reassigned, which unfortunately never happened. Over the course of my college years I had a total of…wait let me count…19 different roommates. That number seems crazy but trust me, if you move around as much as I did the names and addresses will start to blend.
Related Post: How to Deal with a Bad Roommate
If you’re unsure of the type of roommate you might get paired with or even which category you fall into, read on to see the 13 roommates you’ll probably have in college, and just maybe in your early twenties. Cause who said roommates have to end at graduation?
1. The Compulsive SnoozerThe one who sets an alarm 40 minutes before she knows she’ll actually wake up.
2. The Chronic NapperCome home from class and there’s a 60% chance you’ll find her asleep.
3. Thing 1Her boyfriend is always there, unless she’s not because of course he’s with her. They may or may not have matching sneakers, sweatshirts and/or give each other shout outs on Instagram. You're 50% annoyed, 50% jealous.
4. Sticky FingersHide yo fries, hide yo nuggets and hide yo ketchup, cause this person will “accidentally” think whatever she ate was hers. She's a liar, feel free to attack this person, but not too much because you'll eventually run out of food too.
Related Post: 10 Stupid Mistakes I Made My First Year of College
5. ShamuDon't ever enter the restroom after this person has been inside, good chance they splashed water everywhere while washing their face and/or taking a shower. How does anyone get water on the walls?!
6. Your Second MomNo, she’s not helpful in the wash-your-clothes-cook-your-food kind of way, instead she likes to knock once she’s already entered the room and doesn't understand the concept that you actually like to sleep in. Go away, and close my door!
7. The Brave SoulThe one who kills the spiders, checks for murderers in the backyard and probably hid weapons all throughout the house your first week there.
PS: You can follow my Surviving College Pinterest board for tips, advice and all the stuff you need to succeed in college
8. The Common EnemyWhether they pee on the toilet seat, never clean yet complain about a mess, or play their music loud enough for the walls to vibrate, your hate for them will only bring the rest of you closer.
9. The TalkerThey've already started reciting a play by play of their day before they even had two legs through the door. This I'm totally guilty of.
10. The HibernatorThey claim to have sleeping problems when in reality they stay on Facebook until 4 am, only to sleep past noon everyday and wake up complaining about their sleeping problems. You still love them though.
Related Post: How to Never Pay for College Textbooks Again
11. The TrainerConstantly chirping in your ear about trans fats, invites to go for a run, followed by zumba class and then stop for some oddly green drink.
12. The GhostThey go home every weekend and even if they do stay, they are never really around. You love and hate the situation, sure you get lonely but at least you have the whole place to yourself!
13. Your New BFFYou love the same shows, share a mutual hate for a certain type of food, and your napping schedules have become synchronized.
Do you have any roommate horror stories? How about successes? Tell me all about your favorite or worst in the comments below!